Home Register Manuals 164 Forum Interactive Library

164 Q4 - how do you do your brake test?

For al the general information about the 164.

164 Q4 - how do you do your brake test?

Postby AlfaWhiz » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Since my annual inspection is slowly approaching, I was wondering... how do you do your brake test during the technical inspection? I'm wondering how does it look like in different countries and if there is special consideration for 4 wheel drive in your case. :)

I know in principle one should always use specialized rollers for that, but those may not be always available. I am aware of two methods: oposite rotating rollers (diff crown remains stationary) and a road test.

I was also wondering if there is a real danger for the Viscomatic, since it might be considered as a non-permanent 4WD system. I understand that with high differential loads between the axles the system might be overloaded (heat, viscous coupling, strain on the panetary gear and the casing, etc.), but it's a viscous coupling on the other hand, so there is no 1-to-1 mechanical gearing to worry about as in some other 4 wheel drive cars (within low speeds the measurements are usually done at, that is).

Yet another issue is, since the rear diff in the Q4 is of the limited slip type, rollers which turn the wheels in opposite direction could potentially damage it, as I suppose.

In my case, I had one brake test done without any special consideration (I had no choice, sadly), and the second one I did was with testing left and right wheel independently, which I am not sure if is helping at all. Luckily, then my 4WD was still most probably disconnected (yet another option would be to pull the fuse and make the car FWD only for the time of the inspection).

What is your experience? I'm sure all of this is valuable and interesting information for everyone.

Re: 164 Q4 - how do you do your brake test?

Postby g84 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:42 am

Up here in Sweden they do a road test, no rollers are used.
When Engine is turned off and pressure drops the viscomatic unlocks after a few minutes to make it possible to tow the car with front end up.
164 Q4-95
146 Ti -97
Q4 owner

Postby Alfamuppet » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:38 am

Hi in my local Garage in the UK, I made sure I told them it was 4x4 as they don't have the rollers for 4x4, and they just did a road test

The young guy who does the testing was very complimentary about the cars abilities and had checked its stats before I collected it, so I guess he enjoyed the road test (hopefully not quite like the guys in "Ferris Bueller's day off" in the Ferrari!!!)
Alfa 164 Q4 Proteo Red

Postby AlfaWhiz » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:37 am

Right, I think the road test is the best option. As far as I know though not every inspection shop has the device to perform such a test. The rollers which turn in opposite directions would then be useful, but those are rarely available as well.

I'm wondering, did anyone's Q4 ever suffer any damage because of a badly done brakes test? I was reading a lot about this on other forums (i.e. Subaru and such), and there are mixed opinions, as half of the people seem to believe it's dangerous for the viscous coupling, and the other half swear by the fact that in such low speeds it cannot do any harm and never did any harm to them.

Postby Alfan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:59 pm

Road test for sure! I had an inspection dude try to do it on the brake stand (had told him not to!), but he tried anyway, before I could stop him! So unless they have the correct equipment -> road test!
1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 Proteo Rosso 550.000km
1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 Verde Indy 260.000km
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione 75.000km
Q4 owner

Return to General