Electronic components repair and reconditioning

For al the general information about the 164.
AlfaWhiz

Electronic components repair and reconditioning

Post by AlfaWhiz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:51 am

I was researching a bit the possibilities regarding repair or reconditioning of various electronic components, such as ECUs and ABS modules. Those are becoming rarer every day, especially for Q4 it is very problematic. There are some companies which can diagnose and repair Motronic 3.7, but the situation of ABS2 is much more sour.

Here I propose to collect a list of verified companies which can reliably diagnose and fix various components on our precious cars.

I've inquired Bosch directly regarding the ECU and ABS module of my Q4, and here's the response I got:
The Bosch Repair Service is offering a repair service for ECUs. At present both part numbers, 0 261 203 301 and 0 261 203 834, are not in their assortment. But usually they are still able to check/repair ECUs of the Motronic (but it might take longer than usual). If you are an end customer feel free to ship us the ECU as the Bosch Repair Service is for workshops only:

Robert Bosch GmbH
Automotive Tradition (AA/ATR)
Auf der Breit 4
76227 Karlsruhe
GERMANY

We will then forward your ECU to the Bosch Repair Service and keep you informed about the progress.

Bad news about the ABS2. At present we are not able to help you out. The Bosch Repair Service sees the need of the market and is already checking the possibilities of repair solutions here. But this will take lots of time.

As you can see, there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

My point is to have a verified list, in a similar way we have one for alternative parts. I think we should also push the vendors a little bit, especially regarding those rare parts, like the ABS2 for Q4 and Viscomatic.

Alfan
Q4 owner

Re: Electronic components repair and reconditioning

Post by Alfan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:50 pm

That is interesting info. However, the age of the 164 model again means that it is a little in limbo, since we won't know if/when this will be possible.
1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 Proteo Rosso 550.000km
1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 Verde Indy 265kkm
2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0 24V Blue Lightning 55kkm
2011 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Multiair TCT Bianco Pastello 135kkm
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione 85kkm

alfa east
3.0 V6 24V automatic

Re: Electronic components repair and reconditioning

Post by alfa east » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:18 pm

I find the Bosch-reply very encouraging. Although they warn that a solution for the ABS unit will still take a lot of time they ARE looking into it and trying to come up with a repair! Don't forget that the manufacturer has long since "washed" its hands of models that are more than 10 years out of production and here is a part supplier who is trying to help.