Convert the jpg gallerys to PDF for the site?

For all problems you encountered during logging in or comments you like to make to the site
Maffia_Alfista

Convert the jpg gallerys to PDF for the site?

Post by Maffia_Alfista » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Is it just me or is anyone else thinking that the jpg service bulletiens gallerys etc would be better in pdf form?

Advantages:
1: You just have to download one file if you're not having internet connection in your garage
2: Pdf is faster to scroll through on your computer/tablet/smartphone.
3: If you have internet on your smartphone you can load a service bulletin anywhere.
(You can with the jpg gallery's to but they are not very smartphone friendly).

I have already converted some of the jpg material in the manual section (the ones I have used for my self) to pdf:s so half the "work" is done pretty much.

I can do the rest if there's an interest but it would be easier if the one with all the original files and uploading privileges does it. Pretty time consuming to download every single jpg :)
Daniel Jansson
164 Q4 -95
GTV6 -83
75TS - 90

Helli

Re: Convert the jpg gallerys to PDF for the site?

Post by Helli » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:58 pm

You are very right, Daniel. PDF's would be nice.
Since I benefit immensly from the data in the Library for the work on my Q4, I volunteer to convert a couple of those Manuals/Bulletins from JPG's to a PDF-file.

Should I takle those, which I consider most worthwhile, or do I get instructions from you or Arjen, which ones I should convert?

Once I have completed one of them, I could it make available on my homepage for download by you. There is no need for Uploading Priviledges.
Helli
3.0 V24 Q4 1994

alfisti-164
Site Admin

Post by alfisti-164 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Maffia_Alfista and Helli, thanks for the question.

With the start of the Manuals section there has been chosen for JPG files in stead of PDF.
I actualy conferted many PDF's into JPG for this reason.

The idea behind it is (in a way) protect the content from being easely stolen. A PDF is easely downloaded and you would have the complete manual. And with JPG's this is also posible, but it takes work.

You will understand that it took us (actualy it took Arjen, 164_TD) many effort to buy manuals from all over and then scan them page by page afterwards. (For loads of them he paid out of his own pocket, so why "give" it just away?)
Because we like to help maintaining our beloved 164's we made the pages public. Off course we would like to keep it on this site.
That's the reason you can scroll trough them, page by page, and that's why you can't download them in whole.
164 24v Super 1994
164 TS Facelift 1993

Maffia_Alfista

Post by Maffia_Alfista » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:25 am

alfisti-164 wrote:Maffia_Alfista and Helli, thanks for the question.

With the start of the Manuals section there has been chosen for JPG files in stead of PDF.
I actualy conferted many PDF's into JPG for this reason.

The idea behind it is (in a way) protect the content from being easely stolen. A PDF is easely downloaded and you would have the complete manual. And with JPG's this is also posible, but it takes work.

You will understand that it took us (actualy it took Arjen, 164_TD) many effort to buy manuals from all over and then scan them page by page afterwards. (For loads of them he paid out of his own pocket, so why "give" it just away?)
Because we like to help maintaining our beloved 164's we made the pages public. Off course we would like to keep it on this site.
That's the reason you can scroll trough them, page by page, and that's why you can't download them in whole.
True but at the same time they become less user friendly for the forum members
Don't get me wrong here I LOVE this forum, the AWESOME manual section and everybody that have put it together!! *hugs for everyone* :D

But if the manuals would spread like wildfire through the web should that be such a bad thing..?
From my point of view "the worst" that could happened is that we help some poor sod fixing his 164 and (as long that the pages are water marked "AlfaRomeo164register.com") he/she also discovers this very nice forum and maybe even become a member. I don't really see the disadvantage.. But this is off course up to Arjen and 164_TD that put in the work and money to make it happen.

Sharing is caring ;)

My 2 "Swedish kronor" :)
Daniel Jansson
164 Q4 -95
GTV6 -83
75TS - 90

alfa east
3.0 V6 24V automatic

Post by alfa east » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:04 am

Interesting discussion. I don't know if all arguments have been exhausted but what I have read so far I am with Daniel (Maffia_Alfista) on the matter. Even if you would take the economic (financial) viewpoint I think that with the website's address as "watermark" on all the manuals it advertises the site and increases traffic. And that -ultimately- defines it value. Having said that, I notice that most members set aside their time for their hobby free of charge, even if it concerns other people's cars. Apart from my love of the car; it is exactly that what attracts me to this "club" (as also explained on various Petrolicious clips; it's not just the cars, it's the community of people who own and drive them). Never underestimate the power of that argument; if you take money out of the equation -and people are still motivated- it becomes a pretty powerful "movement".

alfisti-164
Site Admin

Post by alfisti-164 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:45 pm

I will take it in consideration. Off course I have to discus it with Arjen and the others who set this website up...
164 24v Super 1994
164 TS Facelift 1993