Q4 shop manuals

For the technical things.
krrobrock

Q4 shop manuals

Post by krrobrock » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:34 pm

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I'm a long time Alfista that has been out of the loop for a few years. I'm resurrecting my Q4 from a clutch replacement that took way too long, and putting things back together once again.

I have a 54-page product bulletin for the Q4, which covers a lot of details on how the various systems work, but I don't have a proper wiring diagram for the Motronic 3.7 system that shows wire colors and such. I have those diagrams for the standard 24V motor (ML1.7), but not for the Q4 - and just about everything is different. I'm basically at the point of chasing what connectors go to what (a number of 3-pin connectors in the transaxle area that could be for knock sensors, TPS, steering angle, etc), and I'd rather not try to guess what is what.

Does anybody happen to have manuals? Apologies if these have already been posted many times - at first glance I did not find them.

Thanks,

Karl

krrobrock

Re: Q4 shop manuals

Post by krrobrock » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:40 pm

Ok, so a little more searching and I did find the manuals that are posted at http://alfaromeo164register.com/manuals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the Q4, and found the Motronic 3.7 schematics. Awesome resource. Thanks!

Cheers,

Karl

Alfan
Q4 owner

Post by Alfan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Welcome to the forum - we always like to see photos of 164's :)

Which year model is it? I can also recommend the diagnostics program that you can find here, now that you are putting your Q4 back on the road.
1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 Proteo Rosso 550.000km
1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 Verde Indy 270kkm
2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0 24V Blue Lightning 55kkm
2011 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Multiair TCT Bianco Pastello 185kkm
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione 95kkm

alfa east
3.0 V6 24V automatic

Post by alfa east » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:42 am

Yes, welcome indeed. Maybe a separate intro in the "Introduce yourself"-section and we love to see pix incl. the process of making it roadworthy again.

krrobrock

Post by krrobrock » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:06 am

Thanks guys. It's a '94 with fairly low mileage (<100K km), but it has been sitting for 10 years (my fault). I'm basically handling it as a restoration project at this point, going through things with a fine tooth comb (e.g. replacing things down to every single connector boot). Sourcing parts has been interesting, and I feel like I'm buying 'the last one in the world' every time I buy something.

The car was repainted prior to me buying it, and the clearcoat of that paintjob has failed. So I'm not posting pictures of the complete car with baked clearcoat... the car will be repainted as soon as it's back on the road.

I'm almost at the point of dealing with all the fluids, which I should be able to do this weekend. Attached are some snapshots of some of the shiny parts.

Cheers,
Karl
Attachments
IMG_3815.JPG
IMG_3790.JPG
IMG_4432.JPG
IMG_4408.JPG
IMG_4365.JPG
IMG_4365.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4299.JPG
IMG_4293.JPG
IMG_4292.JPG

Alfan
Q4 owner

Post by Alfan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:19 am

krrobrock wrote:The car was repainted prior to me buying it, and the clearcoat of that paintjob has failed. So I'm not posting pictures of the complete car with baked clearcoat... the car will be repainted as soon as it's back on the road.
Now that is teasing :wink:

Great to see that you are getting things done properly. Did you replace/refurbish the rear shock absorbers? I only see a photo of the front ones. Also the rear brake calipers, are these new or did you find parts for refurbishing them?

Where are you located?

krrobrock

Post by krrobrock » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Alfan,

I'm in the San Francisco bay area.

I disassembled all the shocks, and replaced boots, bumpers and bearings (on the fronts). The shocks feel fine, but I'll find out if they're still ok once the car is back on the road. Brakes were rebuilt by goldline brakes in Seattle (Q4 calipers are unique, and obsolete) - they have all sorts of size components, so it was straightforward for them to rebuild the calipers. I highly recommend them.

I'm having custom exhaust gaskets for the downpipe-to-catalytic-converter interface made by gasketstogo.com, that should arrive soon. I actually traced the flange and made up a drawing. Have you folks had any luck finding them elsewhere? I ordered the center and rear exhaust from bertelsbeck automotive. They shipped to the United States with incredibly reasonable shipping charges.

Years ago I contacted Selenia to ask about Gemax and GI/R fluids used in the Getrag gearbox and Viscomatic system. They sent me a case of their successor products (see attached picture). I'm a little concerned, because what they told me is used in place of the GI/R is labeled as a brake fluid. I have blown out power steering systems in the past, by using the wrong fluid. I don't want to do that here... What are you guys using?

Cheers,

Karl
Attachments
fluids.jpg

Alfan
Q4 owner

Post by Alfan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:58 pm

krrobrock wrote:I'm in the San Francisco bay area.
Then I guess, you have also used digest.net and alfabb. Not many Q4 in the US.
krrobrock wrote:I disassembled all the shocks, and replaced boots, bumpers and bearings (on the fronts). The shocks feel fine, but I'll find out if they're still ok once the car is back on the road. Brakes were rebuilt by goldline brakes in Seattle (Q4 calipers are unique, and obsolete) - they have all sorts of size components, so it was straightforward for them to rebuild the calipers. I highly recommend them.
Hopefully, the shocks are still good, otherwise you can find useful information on alfabb.com
krrobrock wrote:I'm having custom exhaust gaskets for the downpipe-to-catalytic-converter interface made by gasketstogo.com, that should arrive soon. I actually traced the flange and made up a drawing. Have you folks had any luck finding them elsewhere? I ordered the center and rear exhaust from bertelsbeck automotive. They shipped to the United States with incredibly reasonable shipping charges.
If you are referring to these gaskets (see right side of photo), they are difficult to find.
krrobrock wrote:Years ago I contacted Selenia to ask about Gemax and GI/R fluids used in the Getrag gearbox and Viscomatic system. They sent me a case of their successor products (see attached picture). I'm a little concerned, because what they told me is used in place of the GI/R is labeled as a brake fluid. I have blown out power steering systems in the past, by using the wrong fluid. I don't want to do that here... What are you guys using?
I have used Tutela GI/R, but will go to green hydraulic fluid when overhauling the system, similar to what Citroën use for the brake and suspension systems. Others have tried this and have had no issues.
Attachments
IMG_0193.jpg