Home Register Manuals 164 Forum Interactive Library
Login

6 speed gear box or not

Post here your project, keep us all informed about the progress.

6 speed gear box or not

Postby shane » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:05 am

Hi Alfaheida,
I writing this because I would like to learn some more about your
3.5 motor and 6 speed gear box.
I have a 12v qv 3L and my gear box is leaking badly, so much so my exhaust is wet with oil
the car goes awesome, I have all ready put super pro bushing around and engine mount.
I have noted rub marks on the CV's from the inner gaurds.

I would like your advice as to if I should fix the current gear box or replace it with 6 speed like
cheers Shane
shane

Re: 6 speed gear box or not

Postby ALFAHEIDA » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi Shane,

I can not tell you the difference because i'm still in progress building the engine in the car.
I can tell you only this. I started this project a few years ago and it was in the financial better times.
We develloped a 3.5 12v and planned to make it with a 6 speed gearbox from a 166 3.0.
The engine is build new. The gearbox has only 40 k on it.
But next year i hope to finish it of.
When i make some progress i'll let you know here.

Abouth the 12v qv. There is hardly a better and more fun 164 than this. The gears are shorter more agressive and smooth. Topspeed is huge, when maintenanced well.

Goodluck finding the right choice.

Regard,

Erwin
Alfa 164 QV(Q) 24V '93 /Alfa 164 QV(S) 12V 3.5 Project '91 /Alfa 164 3.0 12V Automatic '89
ALFAHEIDA
QV 24V owner

Re: 6 speed gear box or not

Postby shane » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:11 am

Fast off Wow sounds awesome mate I hope all the hard work pay off, It's going to be a long 12 months ever .
How do you make a 3.5 motor ? is it just bigger pistons or is there more to it .
I day out with the wife and kids today in Adelaide were it just so happens is also were my Alfa parts shop is
so I did get a few part ;the two CV shift seals and a strut top bearing So I can get the car off the axial Stans
and back on the floor .
Still have to do a bit to do like fit the thermostat and new coolent with the new oil cooler set up .

cheers mate
shane

Return to Projects