Potential replacement for 24V cambelt tensioners

Did you find a part on another type or make car that fits the 164? We love to hear about it!
HaydnW92

Potential replacement for 24V cambelt tensioners

Post by HaydnW92 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi all,

In preparing my Q4 to return to the road I've spent a lot of time searching for parts and part numbers, during which I found some interesting information regarding the 24V cambelt tensioner which, as most of us will know, is a difficult part to get hold of.

I think I may know of an alternative source for 24V timing belt tensioners and at cheaper price than the stock that Alfissimo sells. That is not meant to discredit Alfissimo of course - they do an excellent job of helping to keep many old Alfas on the roads.
The tensioner I currently have installed on my Q4 is a Ferrari part that is dimensionally identical to the tensioner I removed from my engine. It even has the same markings and weight, and it seems to work just fine so far. I've had the Q4 running a few times now and though my tension might be set a little tight (my fault) it is otherwise performing without fault. If it is indeed an identical part, this could save many of us a lot of trouble when changing the tensioner for a new one. I figured I would give it a go, because when I bought it the Alfissimo tensioners were 500 USD + shipping + import tax (USA to UK) whereas the Ferrari part was around £160 delivered. The Alfissimo price has since fallen to 399 USD so bear this in mind.

Unfortunately it will be a while before my Q4 is back on the road so I cannot use my car as a 'guinea pig' to test the tensioner's long-term reliability. However I thought it would be a good idea to bring it to your attention on this site as I know there's lots of knowledge and wisdom here regarding these cars. Hopefully I am correct and this part is fine for our cars, but if not then I'm sure some of you can correct me.

I look forward to the discussion.

Haydn
1999 Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 24V
1992 Maserati 222 4V (project)

(Ex)1994 Alfa 164 Q4 3.5 Savali Cosworth
(Ex) 1991 Alfa 164 3.0 Cloverleaf
(Ex) 1995 Alfa 145 1.6 8V

kuseetha

Re: Potential replacement for 24V cambelt tensioners

Post by kuseetha » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:03 am

Well, I have purchased this Ferrari tensioner for my 24V Super (Ferrari pn# 157356) for less than GBP 150 last year, which is it's V8 engine's right hand side bank timing belt tensioner. This was discussed and confirmed at a different forum last year. Here is the confirmation:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168 ... ost5314073" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this will keep more 24Vs on the road
1972 VW Beetle H4