Hello from Switzerland

Let us get to know you. (and your 164!)
martin_g

Hello from Switzerland

Post by martin_g » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:12 am

Hello guys (and girls of course)

My name is Martin, I am 27 years old and from Switzerland.

Ever since I can recall I drove Alfa Romeo, altough my father has been a BMW man all his life. I got my first fix when driving to a vacation in Italy with my mother's hairdresser, a lovely Italian lady who happened to own a black 164. What finally got it for me was the first Alfa 75 I've seen around 12-13 years ago. I thought that I knew a lot of cars and models up to now (and I did), but never have I seen a car mor intriguing, the exhaust coming out of the middle pointing to the left side. And the looks of that car, the front, the sideline; just everything. It was like a really bad accident, you don't want to look, but somehow you just can't take your eyes off it.

And then came the time when I had to buy my first own car. At first I thought of buying an old BMW; E30 or E28. E28's were super hard to find, or belonged to some old geezer who got it with an automatic gearbox (absolute NOGO for me!). E30 BMWs were mostly driven by idiots, and it was hard to find a decent example.
So of course I started looking for Alfa Romeos, I like the special design and the good handly. But what I liked most is that you could get a decent car with lots of goodies for a lesser price than the other makes sold. Looking through the internet I found some very nice 155s and 164, but something very special caught my eye. While browsign the cars online, I found one with the exhaust sticking out of the middle; "now where have I seen that before?" I asked myself.
Long story short: after gathering some information about the car's engine and chassis (rear-wheel-drive and transaxle) and a test drive I bought that thing for only 4000 swiss francs (like 2500-2700 euros back then). I loved the car and drove it everywhere, but sadly my juvenile stupidity kicked in and made me crash it. After having taken some parts out to sell and having scrapped the rest I started looking for a new car. What could possibly be better than another Alfa I thought and so I started browsing the web again and discovered a 164Q4 for sale not too far away from me, going for only 3600 swiss francs (wich were around 2500 euros back then).
Why so cheap you may ask? Well, the car had around 180'000kms on it and lacked a bit of service (timing belt, water pump etc, non-original steering wheel so no Airbag, no working ABS and the 4x4 lights turning on sometimes; altough the 4x4 always worked no matter the light). At least the enginge was still running fine and the chassis and interior were in an immaculate condition; it even has a Becker radio installed.

Unfortunately I didn't get to drive it too long because I had other duties at the time (army, finding a new job, finding money and time for servicing the car, having bought a Alfa Romeo 75 QV etc). Anyways, it has been stored away in a hangar and is awaiting its resurrection one of these days. My goal is to either finish it this summer, or having it ready by beginning of 2017.
The reason I bought and kept that car is that there weren't a lot of them made (and mine is proteo-red), so it's rare. And then there's the 4x4 system; I would probably not have bought a "normal" one because I don't really like front wheel drive.

I don't have any pictures unfortunately but I will shoot some the next time I get to see the car. But my priority at the moment is finishing my 75 3.0; my BMW motorcycle and once that's done I can start attacking the 164.

While I am at it, does anybody know where to get Nardi steering wheels for the 164? I have been looking for them quite some time but can't seem to find anything. Same for ANSA exhausts... If anybody has an idea please hit me up with a PM.

Sunny greetings from snow-free Switzerland

martin

alfa east
3.0 V6 24V automatic

Re: Hello from Switzerland

Post by alfa east » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:40 pm

Welcome, Martin. Nice introduction, recognizable feelings for the design (although it was always the 164 for me; more than the 75). Hope to see you resurrect the Q4 in due time.

Alfan
Q4 owner

Post by Alfan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:25 pm

Welcome, great introduction :)

I hope you get all the other stuff done, so you can get to the Q4. I can see that you already started searching for parts ;)

I don't know where to find those parts, but I can only suggest to keep looking for them, as suddenly they might appear.

I will look forward to photos of your Rosso Proteo Q4!
1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 Proteo Rosso 550.000km
1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 Verde Indy 270kkm
2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0 24V Blue Lightning 65kkm
2011 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Multiair TCT Bianco Pastello 195kkm
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione 100kkm

martin_g

Post by martin_g » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:55 am

Hi

Thanks guys, cool to hear. I have been searching half an eternity for lowering springs that I can put on my Q4. I am not talking about -50mm, but something more decent like -20 to 25 (which will eventually become a bit more as the springs will sag).

So far I could only find springs for the front axle (which are plug and play for the 164 anyway), but no rear springs. Fortunately, as I was visiting a local motorcycle racing fair, I found a guy who produces springs for all kinds of applications; so I will get him to bend me a set wich will be 20-25mm shorter with a spring rate that matches the front.

I'll have to say that design-wise I like the 164 a lot more, those beautiful lines and that interior. But there's nothing that beats a good 75 performance-wise; it's lightweight and has nimble handling, due to the transaxle of course. The design is a "love-it-or-hate-it" thing and the interior is just quirky and 80s; what counts for me in that car is the sound and that I can easily smoke an E30 or even E36 BMW (non M-Models, that is).

alfa east
3.0 V6 24V automatic

Post by alfa east » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:46 pm

There is some old discussion thread on this topic: http://alfaromeo164register.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martin_g

Post by martin_g » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:57 pm

Hi

I had contact with Jurgen from this thread, and it boiled down to this:
"So if you want get your car lowered (which I do not find attractive for a 164) you have to make the new springs progression smaller, or cut just a half or complete winding (no place for undo afterwards)"

So what I'll do is get one front and rear spring, and have a rear-spring remade to fit the front one in terms of spring-rate ratio front:back.

Worti
QV 24V owner

Post by Worti » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Hello Martin

Welcome on Board.

There was never a Source for lowering Springs for the Q4.
If you get some or cut some springs you got problems with the "mfk"

Best regards
Rolf

alfa east
3.0 V6 24V automatic

Post by alfa east » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:26 am

Worti wrote:There was never a Source for lowering Springs for the Q4.
This is not completely true: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168 ... 64-q4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worti
QV 24V owner

Post by Worti » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:00 pm

I do not say there is no way to get the Q4 down. But i think it would be the best to ask someone that will give you the right to drive the car legal. Dont forget, switzerland ist different to everywhere. For example, you could do lot more in germany then switzerland.
Regards Rolf

alfa east
3.0 V6 24V automatic

Post by alfa east » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 am

Ah, you meant legally, according to Swiss rules. OK, got you.