Home Register Manuals 164 Forum Interactive Library
Login

Former Member Returning

Let us get to know you. (and your 164!)

Former Member Returning

Postby alfadoctor » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:07 pm

In 2014 I sold my 1994 164Q to a guy in Denver. About a month ago he called me and offered the car back to me. I sold a project that I had sitting in the garage and was able to buy the car back. So my Q is back in my garage.

The PO went through the bottom end, timing belt and bearings while he owned it.

I am now in the process of cleaning and detailing getting it ready for a public debut.

The car is #34 of the 35 that were imported that year. I did find #8 in the Phoenix and we are planning to get together. This should make for a great photograph as we will have two black/burgundy cars side by side once again.

Over the next couple of weeks, I will be on line reading the various topics and coming up to speed on what is going on in the community.

Lastly, is there a formal register for the Q's? I started the USA register some years ago and turned it over to someone to run.
alfadoctor

Re: Former Member Returning

Postby alfa east » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:41 am

Welcome (back)! Did you introduce the car here previously? Anyway, we love the see pics in due course (or even while you are doing the cleaning).

Check with fasani here on the site if he has a separate Q-register.
alfa east
3.0 V6 24V automatic

Postby Alfan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Welcome back :) As already mentioned, photos are welcome.
1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 Proteo Rosso 535.000km
1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 Verde Indy 260.000km
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione 60.000km
Alfan
Q4 owner

Postby alfadoctor » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:27 am

Feels like home again with 164Q in the garage. The Zenders are being restored and new tires installed by next weekend. I need to get a battery minder to keep the charge on the battery! Let the car sit long enough and you will find the flattest battery in the world. I had two go flat and they wouldn't even take a charge. I am going to go through the car's electrical and check all the grounds and clean all of the electrical connections with DeOxit D5 and gold contact liquid. That should head off some of the electrical gremlins. Especially the relays under the dash!
I will photograph the car when I get the wheels back on. :)

How concerned should I be about the CAS (crank angle sensor) on the nose of the crankshaft going bad? What would be a good one to buy? As far as I know, mine is original to the car since 1994. :shock:
alfadoctor

Postby AlfaWhiz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Welcome back. :) Sure has to be a good feeling to have the car back in the garage.

I did replace my crank position sensor some time ago, it wasn't expensive and it was readily available (original Bosch for 24V engine). Fitting it was a bit of a challenge though, to route the cable correctly. Probably 5 min job with timing belt covers off, but a bit more difficult with all the covers on. I have actually managed to get the plug of the new sensor stuck somewhere in the depths of the engine bay when routing it, and it was stuck for good for about 4 hours, trying all possible tricks, before I was able to pull it back out. Sounds silly, but just saying... be careful. :mrgreen:
AlfaWhiz

Postby alfadoctor » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:44 am

I plan on replacing the timing belt as a learning project with new parts. To replace the CAS while I am in there is a good idea to ensure reliability. Be sure to check your crank pulley for rubber cracking as they are at the age where they can start to fail. The outer pulley will separate from the part attached to the crank and leave you stranded. Jason at Alfissimo in Arizona is getting them rebuilt, so we can keep our cars on the road and not on the side of the road.
alfadoctor

Return to Introduce yourself