ABS problems Q4

For the technical things.
Post Reply
finalfa
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:44 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

ABS problems Q4

Post by finalfa » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:06 pm

My ABS light is on, it looks like it passes self check, but as soon as i start driving, it lights up and stays lit.
I tried reading the error codes with my Marelli tester, and the only fault code that came up was Fehler Steuergeraet, which would mean that the ECU is faulty. Then it says that Systemzustand 6km/h, ABS nicht aktiv. Does anyone have experience with something like this, or ideas on where i should be looking?
Many thanks. :cry:
Alfa Romeo GTV 6 2.5 -83
Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 -02
Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 3.7 -96
Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 3.0 -94

User avatar
AlfaWhiz
Posts: 414
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: ABS problems Q4

Post by AlfaWhiz » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:16 pm

From my experience ABS faults an be electric related. Have a look at my thread, I also had the light on albeit without any clear cause, after many years of struggle I fixed it by cleaning the connections between the main ABS fuse and its holder: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1427

finalfa
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:44 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: ABS problems Q4

Post by finalfa » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:50 pm

AlfaWhiz wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:16 pm
From my experience ABS faults an be electric related. Have a look at my thread, I also had the light on albeit without any clear cause, after many years of struggle I fixed it by cleaning the connections between the main ABS fuse and its holder: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1427
Thanks, will have a closer look. Think i will start by cleaning all the connections and do some measurements. Is the main ABS fuse in the ABS unit or where is it? I am a little bit lost with all the fuses in the ABS system...
Alfa Romeo GTV 6 2.5 -83
Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 -02
Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 3.7 -96
Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 3.0 -94

User avatar
AlfaWhiz
Posts: 414
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: ABS problems Q4

Post by AlfaWhiz » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:06 pm

As I remember it differs between versions, main fuse on mine was under the hood on the firewall, near the coolant reservoir, just stuck on there. I think there should be some photos in the other thread but in case you don't find it let me know and maybe I'll dig out some more photos. I know it can be frustrating but definitely fixable. Good luck! 8)

User avatar
Alfan
Q4 owner
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:20 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: ABS problems Q4

Post by Alfan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:15 pm

AlfaWhiz wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:06 pm
As I remember it differs between versions, main fuse on mine was under the hood on the firewall, near the coolant reservoir, just stuck on there. I think there should be some photos in the other thread but in case you don't find it let me know and maybe I'll dig out some more photos. I know it can be frustrating but definitely fixable. Good luck! 8)
Same location in mine and same fix :) The ABS problem when cleaning the fuse and plug (which was enough) was another one, but with a corroded connection, you can surely get different error codes.

Your car has sat a while, so cleaning connections is a good idea, anyway :P
1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 Proteo Rosso 550.000km
1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 Verde Indy 270kkm
2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0 24V Blue Lightning 55kkm
2011 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Multiair TCT Bianco Pastello 175kkm
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Competizione 90kkm

finalfa
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:44 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: ABS problems Q4

Post by finalfa » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Alfan wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:15 pm
AlfaWhiz wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:06 pm
As I remember it differs between versions, main fuse on mine was under the hood on the firewall, near the coolant reservoir, just stuck on there. I think there should be some photos in the other thread but in case you don't find it let me know and maybe I'll dig out some more photos. I know it can be frustrating but definitely fixable. Good luck! 8)
Same location in mine and same fix :) The ABS problem when cleaning the fuse and plug (which was enough) was another one, but with a corroded connection, you can surely get different error codes.

Your car has sat a while, so cleaning connections is a good idea, anyway :P
Sure sounds like an electrical fault like that. Will check fuses and connections when i'm at the workshop. Hopefully it's something as simple as that. Getting a headache just thinking of trying to get my ABS light turned off for the finnish technical inspection coming up. :oops: Airbag and ABS still to go... Taking one issue at a time.
Alfa Romeo GTV 6 2.5 -83
Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 -02
Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 3.7 -96
Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 3.0 -94

Post Reply