Alfa Day Hong Kong 2016, by Alfistizone

Meetings and Events, what is organized in the world of automotive.
KY2006

Alfa Day Hong Kong 2016, by Alfistizone

Post by KY2006 »

Here is a short video clip by a local Chinese newspaper Apple Daily in Hong Kong about Alfa Day that was held last Sunday. The narrative is in Chinese but enjoy the visual and the exhaust note!
http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/realtime/ ... 1/55929722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't go as I wasn't in town that day. Moreover, my 164QV24 is still grounded, waiting for a fix on the steering rack - oil leak and replacement of the clamp bushes (one in hexagon and one round shape) which would degrade within two years due to tropical heat and wear and tear. I have made comments elsewhere, here in the UK and US site but very few Alfisti elsewhere understand my pain having to deal with the steering rack and bushes every two to three years. We have very strict annual roadworthiness test here - there is very little tolerance for oil leak and free play in the steering. The 164 is notorious for its rather big turning circle, and the narrower lanes and typical tight parking spots in Hong Kong are a huge challenge to the driver and often need lock-to-lock steering to park or move out of the parking bay. I know that there is a more durable fix for the steering rack, but the greater evil is the bushes because (a) they degrade quickly (about two years); (b) are difficult to find nowadays, and (c) it is just too troublesome having to lower the engine for access every time they need to be replaced.
164 TD
Q4 owner

Re: Alfa Day Hong Kong 2016, by Alfistizone

Post by 164 TD »

Nice videoclip, Marcus!
TD en Q4 owner

KY2006

Post by KY2006 »

Pity that no 164s turned up on Alfa Day on this occasion. There are actually just a few left (not more than five, I guess) in Hong Kong, Louis' and mine are probably the better ones as he and I spare nothing in upkeeping them. Elsewhere the 164 chapters of various Alfa forums are getting quieter, as the numbers on the road or in storage or awaiting restoration continue to shrink, and the situation is not helped by the lack of parts (especially parts for RHD version) needed to keep them running. Wonder how many members on this register are still active in terms of keeping 164 in reasonable shape. So it is music in the ears whenever we found new members telling us their recent acquisition of a 164, and/or determination to mount a restoration project.
164EVER

Post by 164EVER »

Thanks for the nice picts, but I don't manage to see the video.
It's interesting to see that Chinese people don't only drive in AMG.
Hope you' ll get your 164 soon on the road.
Here in France we anger vs technical check every two years, well I see it's harder there in H.K :?
To keep a 164 on the road is a big deal, I use my TD several days per week, but it always have some new trouble.
Recently clutch, shocks absorber bearings, rubbers of steering and wheel shafts, reniew the KKK turbo, change panel bulbs, sold a new lcd on mirrors switch...................................... :roll: after having reniew all the brakes system......what next :?:
164 3.0 V6 1988 330000KM
164 2.0 TS 1989 243000KM
164 SUPER 2.5 TD 1993 308000KM
156 1.8 TS 2001 165000KM.
EX : 33 SW 1.5, 1.3 ie, 1.5 ie, 33 1.7 QV 16V, GIULIETTA 116 1.6, ALFA 6 2.5 (X3), 146 boxer 1.6 , 164 SUPER 2.0 TS.
KY2006

Post by KY2006 »

Ethnic Chinese living on the tiny island are more akin to the western world due to its past history as a British colony. If anything, apart from Australia and New Zealand, South African and Singapore, Hong Kong is the probably the last sanctuary of right hand drive vehicles. You will be surprised by the variety of collectible classics in Hong Kong. We have no snow and salt so the body work preserves much better in this corner of the world. Check these out
http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/motoring/ ... -hong-kong" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/goldcoastmotorfestival/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What you said about the problem with your 164 sounds very familiar :D. All Alfa owners have learned to live with some or a host of what we would regard as minor issues. We would be happy as long as the engine is willing to start, and the car is willing to run properly. The acceleration, the roar from the exhaust, and the heads that it turns on the street either parked or rolling down the street will reinforce your love for the car, and motivate you to deal with some of the imperfections some day. However, let us not let the passion wane. The 164 needs to be loved and it hates to be left unattended.
alfa east
3.0 V6 24V automatic

Post by alfa east »

KY2006 wrote: If anything, apart from Australia and New Zealand, South African and Singapore, Hong Kong is the probably the last sanctuary of right hand drive vehicles.
You'd be surprised at the classic scene in some of these countries: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Macau, East Timor, Indonesia,India, Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and last but not least Thailand that are all RHD (or at least drive on the left) but it could very well be that HK -and maybe Japan- have some of the best examples of RHD classics. But one of the more spectacular news items was in a Thai language magazine of a few years back that described the "find" and restoration here in Bangkok of one of the 7 factory-made RHD Lamborghini Miura SVs. I also know several M-B 300SL Gullwings, Alfa Montreal, Bristol 410, Lamborghini Uracco, Espada, LM002, just to name a few. One of the local beer tycoons is rumoured to have a very extensive Ferrari collection. Some were displayed last year:
http://tewson2020.blogspot.com/2015/09/ ... ntral.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .Admittedly, mostly youngtimers, but an F40 and Daytona are a nice touch. Here some more selections and activities of the classic car scene in Thailand:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bangkokclassiccar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KY2006

Post by KY2006 »

Thanks for the heads up about other RHD regions in the world. Yes, I remember seeing an Alfa classics gathering near Central World when I visited Bangkok many years ago, and was surprised at the time by the range of collection and the mint conditions of those cars. Thanks also for sharing the pictures of other classics in Thailand. It is an eye-opener for me!
Alfan
Q4 owner

Post by Alfan »

Thanks for sharing, looks like you had yet another enjoyable meeting with many great Alfa Romeos :)
1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 Proteo R
1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 Verde Indy
2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0 24V Blue Lightning
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Comp
2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Anodized Blu
1980 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Blindata Bianco
2003 Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Grigio