Alfa code problems!

For the technical things.
164Carlos

Alfa code problems!

Post by 164Carlos »

Hi! Can anyone out here help me please! I have just installed a 24v engine into my originally 12v 164. I am no getting ready fro starting it up, but due to the alfacode sytem, the ECU will not work.

I have changed all the wiring in the engine room from the donor car, a 95 super 24v, but I havent changed wiring in the dashboard. (quite a job, hopefully I dont have to!)`

After reviewing the wiring diagrams thorougly, I have found out that it has to be the alfacode system that causes the problems. Have anyone done this job before? Does anyone know how to fool this system? Does anyone know what kind of signal the ecu is getting from the key control unit?

Hope anyone can help me!

BR Karl
164 TD
Q4 owner

Re: Alfa code problems!

Post by 164 TD »

Hi Karl,

You have 3 options;

First is that you look around for a motronic for a 24V without the Alfacode.

The second is that you ship your motronic to a company like Schepers-Autotechniek and let the alfacode be removed.

The third one, you need the donorcar for, remove the red codekey from it and the transponder under the dash and install it in the new car.You don't have to use the key to start the car, just make sure you put the key in the vicinity of the ringantenna and the code will be read.
If the car where the 24V engine was put in doesn't have the provisions for Alfacode(antenna, transponder, wiring) Things start to get a little bit more complicated since you have to put new wiring in.

Make sure the 24V motronic, the transponder and the red codekey are a matched pair, otherwise it won't work.

Hopefully you had schoolfrench, we only have this information from the French servicemanuals we have.

TD en Q4 owner

164Carlos

Post by 164Carlos »

Hi!
Thank you for the information. Since what I have available is the donor car, I will use the parts from that. My car doesnt have the wiring, since it was not delivered with this system. Therefore I guess I have to change the ignition lock as well? This is where the antenna is located?

The donor car was only starting with the redbrown masterkey, not the red key. What can I do to make this red key work again?

BR

karl
164 TD
Q4 owner

Post by 164 TD »

Oef !

That will need a lot of rewiring, where are you living? No 24V from before 95 hanging around with a spare motronic?

You might even consider replacing the entire dashboard.

Do you have pictures of the ignitionkeyarea of the donorcar?
TD en Q4 owner

164Carlos

Post by 164Carlos »

Hi,

I am living in Norway. Doesnt know any 24v cars around. Anyway I dont want to change the ECu since I bought a new chip to it from squadra tuning.

Do I have to change the whole ignition lock?

BR

karl
164 TD
Q4 owner

Post by 164 TD »

I suppose you replaced the Cable to the motronic as well and you were left over with one connector; G390.

If you build out the other end of G390 that is still in the donorcar and hook it up to the G390 that is connected to the Motronic, the car will run.
TD en Q4 owner

didod

Post by didod »

Hi, as I see things you will need an antenna (N78 on picture), Immo ECU (N77), the key and cables - as 164 TD says.
164 Super T. Spark //Base '95 + (Vialle LPi) + VDO Cruise control + ...// - Image
Lancia K '98 JTD
164Carlos

Post by 164Carlos »

Hi!
Thank you for the tips. After installing the neccesarry wiring and parts from the donor car, my 164 is alive again! I have to drive around with the key from the donor car taped into the ariel I took from the donor car somewhere in the dash, but it is working!

BR

Karl
wilco
3.0 V6 24V owner

Post by wilco »

what area of norway do you live ?
kuseetha

Post by kuseetha »

164 TD wrote:Hi Karl,

You have 3 options;

First is that you look around for a motronic for a 24V without the Alfacode.

The second is that you ship your motronic to a company like Schepers-Autotechniek and let the alfacode be removed.

The third one, you need the donorcar for, remove the red codekey from it and the transponder under the dash and install it in the new car.You don't have to use the key to start the car, just make sure you put the key in the vicinity of the ringantenna and the code will be read.
If the car where the 24V engine was put in doesn't have the provisions for Alfacode(antenna, transponder, wiring) Things start to get a little bit more complicated since you have to put new wiring in.

Make sure the 24V motronic, the transponder and the red codekey are a matched pair, otherwise it won't work.

Hopefully you had schoolfrench, we only have this information from the French servicemanuals we have.

How to identify a motronic for a 24V without the Alfacode? Does that ECU has a specific number? The ECU I have (with the Alfa Code) is 0 261 203 832.
1972 VW Beetle H4
Alfan
Q4 owner

Post by Alfan »

kuseetha wrote:How to identify a motronic for a 24V without the Alfacode? Does that ECU has a specific number? The ECU I have (with the Alfa Code) is 0 261 203 832.
According to Bosch, your ECU is from October 1995 and after, including Alfacode

The other ECU for the same engine number (AR66 301/302) is 0 261 200 663.

I can't help with that system, but I think there is a thread in this page about how it is connected, so try and search for it.
1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 Proteo R
1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 Verde Indy
2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0 24V Blue Lightning
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Comp
2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Anodized Blu
1980 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Blindata Bianco
2003 Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Grigio
krrobrock

Post by krrobrock »

Hi all,

I see reference to G390 in this thread. Does anyone know where that is actually located? I cannot find it in any of the connector diagrams (they're all for earlier cars). From the CODE controller, the harness goes up into the dash and gets lost.

http://alfa164register.nl/manuals/phppi ... ARcode.JPG

http://alfa164register.nl/manuals/phppi ... de0002.JPG

http://alfa164register.nl/manuals/phppi ... de0003.JPG

I'm trying to debug a 1997 Q4 that won't start, CODE light is on. I'm assuming I should be seeing the injector light come on on the dash, but I am not seeing that light. I am not sure what could have happened here, but a disconnected G390 would result in both those conditions, so I want to find that connector to check it out.

I pulled the cluster to make sure the injector lightbulb is installed. It does not go on when pressing the TEST button, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to or not.

What a frustrating system!

Karl
krrobrock

Post by krrobrock »

Well, problem solved - it was a bad motronic relay! When that fails the CODE light just goes on permanently because it's not hearing back from the ECU. Tell-tale sign is that the injector light does not come on on the instrument cluster. The G390 location will remain a mystery, but that's ok...
Alfan
Q4 owner

Post by Alfan »

Great to hear that you found the (simple) fault, so the car is starting again, and thanks for sharing your findings 👍
1994 Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 Proteo R
1989 Lancia Thema 8.32 Verde Indy
2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0 24V Blue Lightning
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Rosso Comp
2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Anodized Blu
1980 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Blindata Bianco
2003 Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Grigio