Alfa 164 QV 3.0 V6 24 valve for sale

Sell your 164.
Post Reply
petrolhead
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:07 am

Alfa 164 QV 3.0 V6 24 valve for sale

Post by petrolhead »

I'm testing the water really, but i am considering selling my UK MY 94 M reg QV.

She is in great condition, black, 135k, and just had a replacement low mileage gearbox (manual original 5 speed QV box) new genuine alfa clutch, slave cylinder, and fresh oil and filter whilst on the ramp.

Timing belt and tensioners done within last 15k, recent brakes, and a new complete stainless steel exhaust system (removable decat pipe included)

She runs fantastically, great power and torque, excellent oil pressure etc, and very very clean emission pass on recent mot (last 6 weeks)

My centre console has been fully rebuilt in Holland, 100% fully functional, and the lcd converted to red longlife led bulbs, as has the dash display.

Currently has slightly lowered springs on stock QV adjustable shocks, and my modified wheels attached, BBS LM stlye 18" which i would like to keep if possible and replace with alternative / alfa wheels.


Car can also come with a known good spare QV engine, the original Gearbox for spares, a full set of Shock Absorbers, and a brand new set unfitted Lowering Springs.


No Rust, very good and solid subframes, very tidy interior and bodywork, black over grey, and a great drive.


rare car and condition, £4k ovvno

07875 749472

no timewasters please
perry
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:42 am
Location: east sussex

Re: Alfa 164 QV 3.0 V6 24 valve for sale

Post by perry »

Hi did you ever get a response ? I would love to know how much interest there is as I need a good reason to carry on doing mine up :roll:
petrolhead
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:07 am

Re: Alfa 164 QV 3.0 V6 24 valve for sale

Post by petrolhead »

Hi, yes, i've interest in it,

not overun with it but then its a very nieche car, not for everyone at all eh,

but there is a potential deal on the cards in a month or two.
User avatar
alfa east
3.0 V6 24V automatic
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:26 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Alfa 164 QV 3.0 V6 24 valve for sale

Post by alfa east »

perry wrote:I need a good reason to carry on doing mine up :roll:
I think right now the potential gain in expected retail value versus the investment you have to make in it to bring yours (or any other V6 164 with overdue maintenance) to Petrolhead's 164 condition is probably not better than a zero sum game. But 164s in good condition are becoming rarer. Yes, a fairly "limited appeal" car/model but the people that are looking at it now are no longer the types that say "wow, that is a lot of car for the money!I'll drive that until something big goes wrong and dump it" but the ones that really want an Alfa sedan and love the Pininfarina design. The effort , time and money it takes to get one into a very saleable and usable condition as Petrolhead's here has a lot of appeal if you are "in a hurry" to enjoy it, are not good with tools (yours truly) or simply don't enjoy the time process of fixing up the car right.

I guess what I am trying to say here is; they are becoming more collectable. Just not for a large group of them (yet).
petrolhead
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:07 am

Re: Alfa 164 QV 3.0 V6 24 valve for sale

Post by petrolhead »

alfa east wrote:
I guess what I am trying to say here is; they are becoming more collectable. Just not for a large group of them (yet).

I think that sums it up nicely! thank you. :D


The way i see them, as an avid alfisti, is that they are a rare classic in the making.

There was never a big fan base, it was thought of as too quirky, out the ordinary, and too much risk, for most BMW,Mercedes,Audi drivers to really sit up and take notice. They missed out on a fantastic car of course, but then so did many italian car fans at the time too.

Too many Alfa owners were (and some still are!) in the mindset of "not a real Alfa, its not rear wheel drive", and they too missed out, yet probably drive GM based newer model today! ha ha!


The real value comes from us the owners, and if we don't appreciate them properly, we can't expect anyone else too either. So a lot of its value or price, comes from what it is worth to me, or more importantly, how much someone would have to pay me for me to no longer have it in my life, thats the real measure of its value to me :P
User avatar
AlfaWhiz
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Re: Alfa 164 QV 3.0 V6 24 valve for sale

Post by AlfaWhiz »

I think you guys got it right. I'm always saying the 164 probably looks better now than it used to when it was first launched. I mean, back then the design was quite outdated, compared to similar cars from the segment. But as time goes by it shows how nicely it matures, and now all of its competitors look like just ordinary, old cars, while the 164 ages very well and gains appeal.

My personal opinion is that a good one is a keeper. You might not make money on it (mind you, in 10 or 20 years time your total maintenance will chew the entire eventual profit many times over), but you didn't get it to make money in the first place, as I suppose. :wink: So just keep loving it, and take pleasure of owning something extraordinary, that actually started to appreciate already. :)
petrolhead
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:07 am

Re: Alfa 164 QV 3.0 V6 24 valve for sale

Post by petrolhead »

mike.foxtrot wrote:I think you guys got it right. I'm always saying the 164 probably looks better now than it used to when it was first launched. I mean, back then the design was quite outdated, compared to similar cars from the segment. But as time goes by it shows how nicely it matures, and now all of its competitors look like just ordinary, old cars, while the 164 ages very well and gains appeal.

My personal opinion is that a good one is a keeper. You might not make money on it (mind you, in 10 or 20 years time your total maintenance will chew the entire eventual profit many times over), but you didn't get it to make money in the first place, as I suppose. :wink: So just keep loving it, and take pleasure of owning something extraordinary, that actually started to appreciate already. :)


Nice! :P
Integrale
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Alfa 164 QV 3.0 V6 24 valve for sale

Post by Integrale »

Good description foxtrot! !!
A.R 164 Q4
A.R 159 TI
A.R 155 Q4
A.R 147 GTA
A.R 33 P4
User avatar
alfa east
3.0 V6 24V automatic
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:26 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Alfa 164 QV 3.0 V6 24 valve for sale

Post by alfa east »

petrolhead wrote:There was never a big fan base, it was thought of as too quirky, out the ordinary, and too much risk, for most BMW,Mercedes,Audi drivers to really sit up and take notice. They missed out on a fantastic car of course, but then so did many italian car fans at the time too.
Do you mean at the time when the car was sold new?

Because during its days in production the 164 was (relative, compared to the rest of the Alfamodel range) a success. Although not sold in the numbers that BMW or Benz sold their equivalent models but in sufficient numbers to contribute to Alfa's bottomline. And certainly far more profitable than so called "volume" models in the line-up (such as the 33).

Sorry, do not want to distract; back on topic: Petrolhead is gauging interest in selling his QV!
petrolhead
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:07 am

Re: Alfa 164 QV 3.0 V6 24 valve for sale

Post by petrolhead »

Yes, that is very true. But, in terms of uk only marketplace, they weren't terribly well recieved, and although alfa sold all units, that didnt amount to a massive number anyway.

The depreciation was probably the biggest obstacle for most folk to get over, which would never have been as bad if the domestic motoring press didnt live in the past and keep banging on about convincing everyone to be nervous about them, and all other italian stallions for that matter!

Little changes does it?
Post Reply