All models-steppermotor replacement video

For the technical things.
164 TD
Q4 owner

All models-steppermotor replacement video

Post by 164 TD »

Alfa once made a "how to replace a aircon steppermotor" instructionvideo for the US market.

I put the video on youtube.

Steppermotor replacement
TD en Q4 owner

ALFAHEIDA
3.5 V6 12V Savali owner

Re: All models-steppermotor replacement video

Post by ALFAHEIDA »

Great info, thnx!

8)
Alfa 164 3.0 12V Automatic '89
Alfa 159 1750 Tbi Ti SW
avfarci

Post by avfarci »

Hi,

is this video available anywhere else? it's Private and won't open.

Also, I did read/saw pictures of someone getting to the stepper motor without removing the dash but rather cutting into the inside of the glovebox. I have the glove box out and when I look at where the stepper motor is, I would have to cut into the locking mechanism unless I'm going at it the wrong way. Does someone have any pictures of the cuts and then which tools they needed to get to the bolts? any help is appreciated, thanks
MikeCZ

Post by MikeCZ »

From what I remember, to take out that stepper motor without removign the dash, you need special screwdriver used originaly to tune carbouretors :)

I'm attaching two files I collected over the files related to this topic, they might be useful for you :)
Attachments
AR_164_r_r.pdf
(2 MiB) Downloaded 46 times
AR164_vent_cogwheels_replacement.pdf
(7.15 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0JTDm 2011, Rover Mini 998 1991
Ex: Alfa Romeo 164 2.0 V6TB 1995, Honda Civic VIII 1.8 2010, Seat Leon ST FR1.4 TSI 2017, Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm 2007 berlina, Fiat Stilo 1.4 MW 2007
avfarci

Post by avfarci »

Thanks MikeCZ! I'll read your document and see if I could have removed it as described but I did manage to get a copy of the video and processed the old fashion but very long and sticky (old foam crumbled and stick to my fingers).
I did have the shorter document and already purchased my resistors.
I didn't find any good gears even from a second stepper motor but somehow managed to gently shave off the bad gear and it does not turn "ok" both ways while previously it was getting stuck one way. Short of having someone with 3D printer making me one or special order one at some crazy cost, I'm going to my plan and the resistors and hope it will last.

will update once I have everything back or at least try the motor first to see if it will move properly.
avfarci

Post by avfarci »

I still haven't put everything back but read thru the heater motor replacement which was just the one I needed and it was very simple and a bit too late for me.
I also checked the Germany ebay and they still have few of the motors for sale for 20 euros plus shipping. I'm now trying to make sure these are the right ones, new and when I could get it since I rather have a new gear than my temporary solution!
MikeCZ

Post by MikeCZ »

I have ordered the whole brand new stepper motor unit (I think it was 60610100) from Alfa dealer, they were surprisingly still available. If you won't have luck elsewhere it might be worth to try check with them. Of course it's not a cheap option :)
Also, I don't remember out of top of my head, if it's in one of those documents, but I think some BMW stepper wheels were the same as the ones in Alfa unit.
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0JTDm 2011, Rover Mini 998 1991
Ex: Alfa Romeo 164 2.0 V6TB 1995, Honda Civic VIII 1.8 2010, Seat Leon ST FR1.4 TSI 2017, Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm 2007 berlina, Fiat Stilo 1.4 MW 2007
avfarci

Post by avfarci »

Thanks, I'll check and see what they cost if they have any. I just ordered a used one off of a working BMW from ebay in Italy for $31 including shipping. I'll know the state of the gear once I get it ;-)
avfarci

Post by avfarci »

there are few for $200 or $250 from US but I also see from Italy as low as $90 for a complete new unit, including shipping. I should have checked that first and for $60 more, had myself 2 new motors instead of risking on hopefully a good gear.